Use your Words - Fruitcakes and Crayons


Today’s post is a writing challenge. This is how it works: participating bloggers picked 4 – 6 words or short phrases for someone else to craft into a post. All words must be used at least once and all the posts will be unique as each writer has received their own set of words. That’s the challenge, here’s a fun twist; no one who’s participating knows who got their words and in what direction the writer will take them. Until now.

My words are: 
 
school ~ kids ~ cartoons ~ glass ~ surprise

They were submitted by Follow me Home... - thank you, Michèle!

I always wonder how my blogger buddies come up with a certain combination of words. Do they have a story in mind and want to find out if you're taking the same way? Do they open a book, close their eyes and point at a word?

Hi there, kids! In this post you are going to read about stuff that they wouldn’t tell you in school – that even I didn’t know before I started writing this. Important facts like what cartoon character I would be - if I was one. And – surpriiiiise! That there’s more to glasses than wearing them in order to see better. You can drink from them. Or break them. But you knew that. 

Ready? You’ve got your snack and a cushion? OK, let’s get started. 

I always enjoy that writing prompts force me to visualize words and do research I wouldn’t get the opportunity to otherwise. For this one I took a dozen of quizzes to find out about my cartoon character - only to learn that I must have multiple personalities. I got so many! Tweety, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, Cinderella, just to name a few! 




But that's OK. I guess it just means that I am a diversified and adaptable person. I also happen to be in excellent company because I have some wonderful imaginary imaginative friends who would - just as an example - meet in rubber room tent city for cocktails and bouncy ball throwing, or claim that they would eat froot loops out of the Stanley Cup if they won it!


Speaking of personality, let me share something I got for my birthday: 

B – be yourself
 I – invite new challenges
R – recall past achievements
T – trust your judgment
H – have faith in your abilities
D – desire only the best
A – affirm your strengths
Y – you’ve got what it takes

The surprising thing is that the person who sent this to me, doesn’t know me. At all. But every birthday I get some inspirational phrase. I don’t even remember what Facebook game I added them for. Sorority Life? Mafia Wars? Yes, way back when baby C took the occasional nap, I played those games. It was a time before blogging. I guess there’s a time for everything. Had I not played those games and added that buddy, what would I be writing about today? 

Those words hit home. 

Whereas last year I kind of bragged about how I was exactly where I wanted to be in life and bursted from energy to bake and do crafts, this year I have been feeling vulnerable, and I don't always have faith in my abilities. Being myself feels like being all over the place sometimes. I still function and wing everyday life, though. 

Well, almost. As of today I haven't even decorated for St. Patrick's Day, and I love that holiday! 

Instead I have been analyzing love song lyrics, feeling sorry for lonely socks, buying a barbie, planning a fictional date and crying because they were out of pancakes (temporarily, as it turned out) and, more importantly, because my baby is growing up so fast. Oh, and let's not forget that rookie product purchase I made.

Midlife crisis? I always thought it only affected men. You know, that time when they exchange their 40ish wife for two girlfriends in their 20s, drive a sports car and take up a jackass hobby like bungee jumping?

She is right. Right??
For the time being, I refuse to blame aging for my moodiness. Instead I will

Cherish your own emotions and never undervalue them. 
Robert Henri (painter)

So - a girl's got to do what a girl's got to do to beat that blues ride those waves!

Retail therapy… purchasing that leather jacket!
Oh, and raising that glass of Champagne
just because I love those bubbles so much :-)
Joining Hockey Guy in his post-season activities:
Zumba for Kids! 

(OK, technically I didn't participate. 
I took pics for our village gazette)
Having myself a little baking* helper!
Who remembers this guy's name?

*Hey, I did some baking after all!
My coworkers wanted some birthday cake.
Listening to really loud feel-good music in the car wash!
Ice hockey goal horns qualify as "music", right? 
That's what DJ BackSeat was playing!
If you don't care about hockey, feel free to skip it. 
It's just a 5yo recognizing goal horns within the first 2-3 seconds

Pimping that lasagna with lots of wine and roasted asparagus

Looking at those gold bunnies. Yes, just looking!
It's all part of that #savorthewait exercise I'm doing.
Visiting a new city, Bremgarten.
Hubs pretended to push me into the river,
Colin burst into tears and cried "I want to keep mommy!"
Taking a trip to IKEA.
Keep those meatballs coming!
And yes, the sticker goes on my leg ;-) Right, Beth?
Stopping and smelling the spring flowers.
This is for all of you whose yard is still snow covered :-)
Or mud, for that matter. Hello, Lorinda!


Getting naked with another woman!
Just checking if you're still paying attention. 
She's my dermatologist. 
I had a melanoma removed last year, 
and I am happy to tell you 
that I am free to go for another 6 months.
So, kids, before you have to go and do your homework for school your own education so you can become what ever you desire, I promised you a surprise about what to do with glasses.  I think  it’s almost as entertaining as a cartoon, and pretty impressive, too. Plus it gives this whole half empty or half full discussion a whole new meaning: 

 

Now, you fellow fruitcakes and crayons… yes, also those who feel pretty sane… go and check out what words the other bloggers got and what they did with them:

 
Baking In A Tornado 
Follow me home . . .       
Confessions of a part time working mom  
Spatulas on Parade            
Someone else's Genius               
The Bergham’s Life Chronicles               
                   
                                     

Comments